What is Silver Camp?
It is the next big step in the lifesaving pathway at Portsea SLSC. By being a part of our Silver Camp in 2020 you will set yourself apart from the rest of and gain skills and certificates that elevate you through the ranks of Portsea and also lifesaving in Victoria.
If you have ever considered becoming a patrol captain or even a lifeguard, Silver camp is an excellent place to improve your leadership skills, confidence in an IRB, and emergency response skills! We will leave the basics behind and explore what it really means to be a lifesaver at Portsea back beach.
This camp isn’t for the faint hearted so make sure when you sign up you’re prepared for what will be an all in effort on a great pre-season camp!
There will be up to 2 hours a day set aside for students to study during the camp program.
What will I learn on Silver Camp?
A combination of theory and practical work:
- IRB Crewing Techniques
- Advanced resuscitation skills
- First Aid
- Spinal management procedures (refreshing bronze knowledge)
- Extended emergency care
- Advanced defibrillation and oxygen treatment
- Complex scenario management
What awards can I attain on Silver Camp?
- IRB Crew
- Advanced Resuscitation Techniques
- First Aid
Note: Spinal Management is longer an award, but we will refresh knowledge from Bronze.
To apply as an instructor you must:
- Hold at least 1 of the above awards; and
- Hold a Training Officers Certificate (TOC)
- Instructors are able assist in teaching the awards they hold AND gain the awards that they don’t.
Information about TOC courses and how to obtain this award will be released shortly.
Instructors can still apply using the link on this page.
- Location: Portsea Camp
- Starts: 10am Monday 28th September 2020
- Finishes: 4pm Friday 2nd October 2020
- Cost: TBC – Includes all camp, training and administration costs
The application process is not a ‘first-come-first-serve’ process. Golden Ticket Points are taken into account, alongside an application form. This is to reward those who have shown commitment by helping at Portsea fundraising events, contributing to educational programs and attending rostered patrols.
To be eligible for Silver Camp 2020, participants must have:
- A current Bronze Medallion
- Contributed to Portsea SLSC in the prior season by completing an adequate number of patrol hours and assisting at fundraising events
Applications open: TBC
Applications close: TBC
What do I do if I can’t make it?
We offer courses during the season where you should be able to attain higher awards if you miss out on Silver camp.
Please see our Advanced Training Program closer to the start of the season. Silver Camp runs annually, and isn’t restricted to a specific year level, so you can always apply for next years camp.
Please direct all communications to email@example.com